Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sleep Deprivation

I woke up this morning feeling like I had a terrible hangover. Since I don't think Fred slipped me a mickey, I had to conclude I am a little under the weather. I don't think it is anything serious, in fact it seems mostly to be sleep deprivation. For the last couple of weeks Fred and I have not been able to catch a break when it comes to sleep. We currently have been contending with the three little girls who are making the night time miserable.




They go to bed just fine, lulling us into a false sense of security, and then 1am comes and they spring on us, jolting us into the awful reality of wakefulness. We are not certain of why exactly they keep waking up each night. Initially it was a bit of a cough, but that passed and still they kept waking. Mary is by far the worse,since she feels it is perfectly fine to speak out loud in the middle of the night. No whispery voices for that girl. "MOM, I have no pillow and I need to go get my blanket now too!" Sarah cannot be spoken to without bursting into tears, but at least she is easily comforted, and Sophie cannot believe she can climb out of her crib at will, and so keeps coming out and announcing "I'm outta bed!" over, and over, and over again.

Fred couldn't take it any longer last night and left the bedroom. That has only happened to us approximately 3 times in our whole married life so you assess the desperation level. He told me it was genius on his part, but I say we should call it was it really is :

ABANDONMENT. Plain and simple. 


I was left with the three little women skootching about and chatting and whining all night long. Since I never really slept, it is difficult to say I ever woke up. I think I just stood up and dressed myself for church, feeling I was robbed out of my first 2012, sleep by the children of 2011. I know this will eventually pass, but boy are we tired. I also know I am ripe for illness due to the consistent lack of sleep. It has been at least 2 solid weeks since we actually got a full night of rest. Since I have been doing this for 18 years I am certain the girls will grow out of it, but I really hope this happens soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment