Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kindle(ing)

Well, I just finished reading my first book on a kindle. It's not mine. John-Paul asked for it this Christmas, and since he is an avid reader, it made sense. I am not a big fan of the concept. I like books. I like the feel of them in my hands. I like to turn pages. I like the weight of them. I like the paper and the ink and the typeset and the absolute world they transport you into once the first crack comes. 


But I was checking out John-Paul's 'reading device' (or maybe we should just call it his portable bookstore) and I found a title I liked and it was actually cheaper then the real thing, so I bought it- and downloaded it- and began to read it- in under 20 seconds. No check--out lines, no paperback versus hard copy decision making required. It was here in seconds. 


So, I read all the useful information and I got accustomed to this new experience, but I really didn't like it. And I probably will only do it by force from now on. I had no sense of closure when I was done. I couldn't flip back to my favorite passages and read aloud to Freddy for a few moments. It just wasn't the same to have a cup of tea and curl up with an electronic reading device. There was nothing cozy about it. I sorta felt like a traitor. I couldn't rest it on a shelf with the proud knowledge "I had read that'. Something inside said I had betrayed the 'real' book industry by taking this easy way out. Its almost sinful ( but in a venial way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment