Monday, February 27, 2012

Daytona 500

Well, we don't do Oscars- but we do watch the Daytona 500. We happen to be doing so on Monday evening since it was rained out for the very first time in its history ( 56 years). Fred loves car racing. I have grown accustomed to it. I don't understand why he loves it, but he does. Apparently it has something to do with the amazing smell of racing fuel. And the intense noise. And the thin layer of dirt that settles over your entire body as the tires spin on the track. This is an other-worldly experience for my Freddy.

Like I said, I don't really get it. I am also not about to stop Fred from doing something he really loves. He likes dirt track racing a whole lot more  than NASCAR, but hey any racing is better than no racing- right?  His favorite driver tonight is Mark Martin. He is currently in the top ten. He is pretty much always there, though seldom wins. How unfortunate for Fred. So far it has not ever stopped my better half from being mesmerized by the whole racing world. It is in his blood. 

Only Matthew shows the potential for a real race fan after his father. The other boys don't mind spending time with Dad, and eating hot dogs and nachos(I don't mind that either), but Matty really watches the cars go around the track and picks a driver he likes, and thinks it smells good too. I am glad Fred has one son to share this with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment