Sunday, November 13, 2011

Peter's Heaven

We had an interesting discussion over dinner recently. The younger kids were asking what heaven would be like and both Fred and I were trying to explain that you would no longer get sick, or feel pain, and would be perfectly happy yadda yadda. Peter spoke up. He said for years he always has pictured in his mind heaven as being a place with golden walls meeting at 90 degree angles and stretching on for miles, with some random people milling around within it.


I asked him if that thought made him happy, he said no. I asked him how it made him feel, he said bored. I told him it couldn't be heaven. This isn't the first time I have run across that type of thought. Not only have I heard it from countless people over the years, but I can also remember having my own image of heaven as a child that was also way off ( though admittedly more fun). My mental picture of heaven was  an ice cream cone with about 95 well balanced scoops of different ice cream on a perfect cone. The ice cream didn't melt or drip and I had all the time I needed to finish it. ( Which incidentally Fred swears is right on the money) That image stayed with me for a long time. 


It is pretty hard to picture perfect isn't it? It is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment