Saturday, April 23, 2011

Its Holy Saturday- Let's Burn Something!

I know the title of this post may seem a little strange, but it's been my reality for years now. Here's what happens. Fred and I each year decide to have an Easter Egg Hunt and invite more people than just our immediate family. We never say to each other that this is an annual event ( even though it IS.) so that we always feel the 'freedom' to decide against it should we want to ( so far so good). We've been doing it for many years now. Some years are bigger then others, but since my own family is already huge  its always a big deal. It's also always wonderful.

We both also decided we actually like to entertain, which helps when it comes to throwing a big party. I have a pretty simple philosophy, #1 invite people you like, #2 serve food that you like and #3 have everything ready ahead of time so you can actually talk to the people you like- and all will be well. It has always proven an effective method. I don't sweat the small stuff. People like parties, and they like other people, so lets  just have some fun. 

The only part of my plan that goes terribly wrong every year is #3 have everything ready ahead of time. As I have said before, I am not really 'neat' (I can list 10 little reasons which keep me from it regularly) but I am highly organized. I know what needs to be done and I make sure it is done as far in advance as possible. The last on the list of 'to do's' is always cleaning the house. This is the job left for Holy Saturday. I wake up Holy Saturday morning planning my day around Clorox and Swiffers  and get myself out of bed lickity split. There is another job that also falls on Holy Saturday namely coloring Easter Eggs.






 I shoot for the evening of Good Friday but it always winds up happening on Holy Saturday. And just as the egg coloring is being poured down the drain it happens...I look for the source of my strength and support, knowing the grueling tasks that lay ahead of me I turn to that wonderful faithful man I married years and years ago, and find him....outside lighting a fire.


EVERY YEAR. Rain or Shine. He spends the better part of Holy Saturday burning whatever he possibly can. This phenomenon happens as surely as the sun rises each day  and sets each night, and yet it is always new to me and  it always catches me off guard. I am thoroughly expecting Fred, my darling, darling Fred to ride in on his trusty steed ( or at least his trusty mower) to help me with those rotten household chores and be my knight in shining armor,  and instead he engulfs the yard in flames and smoke. 2 years ago we almost needed the fire department to rescue us (thank goodness for a change of winds).  The worst part is that when I tell this story to other people, the women all understand and nod , and the men hold back grins and skulk away to find Fred the Admirable as they talk about the art of building a fire.


  I think I finally figured out why it always catches me off guard. He never announces his sudden stent as a pyromaniac before he begins. You see, I think that not only me, but most women wouldn't just wake up one morning and think "BOY, it looks like a good day to BURN something!"  And if we did, we'd likely tell a whole bunch of other women and then make sure we had permission and put out a few flyers, and  we'd also buy some marshmallows and hot dogs while we were at it to make the most of the situation.

Not my Freddy. We never discuss the plans ahead of time. He never announces "Hon, I'm off to burn down the yard before the big egg hunt!" He just slips off quietly and lights a match. And one by one all the older boys slip out with him as they  learn this masculine ritual that one day, no doubt, my daughters-in-law will complain to me about. 

But I am getting smarter.This year I didn't complain. I just waited. I let them burn whatever they wanted to. I called out the door after them how great the fire was, I remarked how much better the yard looked now that every twig was vaporized.  Then when they came inside after hours of yard work, I handed them the brooms and mops and said "Hey we're not quite done yet!" with my best Easter smile. 

But it appears everyone is in on the Holy Saturday fires now. When we got to church this evening for the Vigil mass Fr Holliday had his own  inferno burning outside the church building. Normally there is a 'small' fire as the priest blesses the flames for the new pascal candle, but this year there was an big ole' bon fire.It felt downright dangerous as we prayed outside church. Fred smirked at me and stuck out his tongue momentarily as if to say "See, this is what guys do on Holy Saturday!" I just shrugged and wondered if we should alert fire and rescue. 

But God had one more surprise up his sleeve for me tonight in the fire department. Let me share my prayer after communion with you, it went something like this:

"Thank you Lord for my children. Thank you for many new friends, thank you for my family, thank you for my health, Lord thank you for my Freddy, and for all the blessings we've had recently and HOLY SMOKES LORD I LEFT THE TURKEY IN THE OVEN AND NEVER TOLD NATALIE ( Mary Poppins) ABOUT IT!!! OH CRAP! OH CRAP! Oh GOSH I SHOULDN'T BE THINKING ABOUT THIS IN CHURCH! SORRY I JUST SAID CRAP JESUS! CAN YOU PLEASE  HELP ME? Amen. " 

I came home to this.

Maybe Fred is on to something....

1 comment:

  1. You said Crap. Hee hee. Another awesome Legare tale. See you soon amiga!

    ReplyDelete