Friday, March 11, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes

For any of you who do not have children, or at least have not had little ones around for a long while, here is a glimpse into the ordinary conversations that happen in our house. My Mom and siblings often have asked me to record these strange little gems. It is kind of weird to eavesdrop on the making of a person. I have found little people who are just beginning to think, but not able to yet reason very well, often have some really interesting observations to make about life. Sometimes it's as simple as Sarah announcing to me at dinner "Mommy, God likes salad!" and sometimes it reveals, well more. It reflects their environment, formation,   parents, and also their concerns. It is fascinating to watch the connections little minds put together. When Michael spoke to my brother Greg after open heart surgery he announced :


"I knowed you went to the doctors cause we were praying for you." Greg thanked him and asked if he knew what the doctors did. Mike answered "yeah, first they cut you in half and then they sewed you back together."

It has made me pause more then once to see how tricky the waters  of life are to navigate for children. We can get so used to understanding what things mean that we forget it takes a while for little minds to grasp even small things. When Andrew was still young I had a miscarriage. At some point in my grief I said "I lost the baby" only to find months later Andrew began to worry I might 'lose' him too. The whole spectrum of emotions gets covered in these utterances. Here's one from last night.

Over heard by Fred:

Michael: Baby Jesus likes us to clean up.

Tommy: He does?


Michael: Yah. He wants us to clean up our room.

Tommy: Why?

Michael: Because after we die the animals are gonna live in here.

Tommy: No Michael, the animals are not gonna live in our house.

Michael: They’re not?

Tommy: No.The poor people are.


Michael: They are?

Tommy: Yes… and maybe the animals.

Michael: I think we better clean up the woods too.



No comments:

Post a Comment