Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Girl Named Sue

I was kind of low after the fire yesterday, so to cheer me up last night Fred took me to the homeless shelter. Don’t laugh.No, I'm not fooling. Truth is  we actually already planned to go there since I received an email from Sue Rudy (who  started and runs the shelter) saying they were in need of blankets and food.  I’ve known Sue for a few years now and we see each other at least every few months. We met after Thanksgiving back a-ways when I had a glut of food and knew it needed to be shared. A friend and I looked up the name of the nearest shelter and found “Silence of Mary Home” listed among the addresses. The name caught my eye. My friend and I got lost on the way to Harrisburg and called Sue for directions. I am REALLY bad at directions.  In fact some days I need a GPS to find my way to the bathroom.  Sue is dyslexic. When I began asking her to guide me through the streets of Harrisburg she started saying things  like :

“ make a turn towards the passenger side door”

“Do you mean right?”  I asked quizically.

she answered "I don’t know is that the passenger side?”   

 I hesitated...."Yes"

"OK - good! Now  go to the driver’s side door, and then at the next block, another driver’s side door…”

 

when I reached the place safely I knew a friendship had been born.So  last night we packed up a few of the kids and took along some of the donations we collected at Sacred Heart Tutorials, (the cooperative the boys belong to 2 days a week) and we headed to Harrisburg. ( below is a picture of Sue and her husband Vern. Matty took it with his DS so its a little blurry.)


It really is one of my favorite places to go- isn’t that strange?  I have never left there without feeling uplifted by the generosity and magnanimity of all I meet. Last night was no different. When Fred and I arrived Sue immediately greeted me with a big “Ellie!” and a cheerful smile and hug. Fred and the boys unpacked the trunk as we chatted. She walked us over to a van stuffed full of blankets, food and clothes that will make their way to Fort Wayne,Indiana over the next few days where Sue is opening a new homeless shelter. She currently runs two houses in Harrisburg, has a few folks living at home with her and, and spends a lot of time at the local shelters as well where she has gained such an impeccable reputation with the state that they call on her when they are filled to their max. There is a good deal of love when you come into the home.  Kids come running up to you smiling and peaceful. Adults laugh and shake your hand, normal chatter fills the air. That can only come from feeling safe. I know my children get a lot out of the visits. I think I get more.  What a genuine gift to know people who love so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment