Saturday, December 8, 2012

Spaetzle

My brother Paul got me thinking about German food last night. He was asking trivia about German Christmas traditions, and likely thinking back on his trip to Germany years ago. He told me all about that trip and how much he simply loved Germany. For some reason the story of him visiting a salt mine was the one that stuck with me the most. Strange.

Anyway, we went food shopping today and I spied some spaetzle. I have never eaten it before, but decided it was as good a time as any to try it out.We got our tree today also, but we won't decorate it til tomorrow, once the branches fall open. So while Fred set it up, I got cooking.  I paired it with what 'felt' like  good German combinations- but I could be completely wrong: a cream sauce, and fresh sausage from the butcher, and lastly brussel sprouts. I love brussel sprouts, they are a totally awesome vegetable. About half of my kids love them too, and the other half do not. More for the good half.

 The dinner made me happy as it reminded me of my wonderful brother and how many times he has made me smile over a lifetime. The kids thought it was fine. Just fine- nothing awesome, but neither was it bad. Then we moved our wise men as we do all through Advent, to show the journey of them to find the King of Kings. Tonight the poor things made it into the stinky,smelly, older boys room where they will stay for this leg of the journey. Sophia is so honored to carry one! She calls them the Three Mise Wen. We're all looking forward to tomorrow when we decorate and have a family party as we go. Hope you all had a beautiful Saturday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment